Flood Insurance Protection
Since standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact Northeast Florida.
Northeast Florida residents are no strangers to flooding. Jacksonville is listed in the top 30 for cities in America with the most properties affected by flooding. Not only do neighborhoods face regular flooding from storms, but hurricanes have previously created extreme flooding in areas.
In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners. We offer policies through this program backed by the Federal Government (FEMA) and we also offer “Private” flood products so clients can take advantage of higher limits for high value properties.
It's important to note that storm surge from a HURRICANE is technically FLOOD and NOT covered under a home insurance policy.
Flood insurance protects two types of insurable property: building and contents. The first covers your building, the latter covers your possessions; neither covers the land they occupy.
Building coverage includes:
- The insured building and its foundation
- The electrical and plumbing system
- Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters
- Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers
- Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring
Contents coverage includes:
- Clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
- Portable and window air conditioners
- Portable microwaves and dishwashers
- Carpeting that is not already included in property coverage
- Clothing washers and dryers
The two most common reimbursement methods for flood claims are: Replacement Cost Value (RCV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV). The RCV is the cost to replace damaged property.
Contact Mizrahi & Garris Insurance Agency or call (904) 262-9202 to identify the best combination of coverage, value and price just for you.